they're only static wings, but it seems like an item people are always looking for help on and this method could be fairly easily adapted to some other wing types, and is also a good way to do completely feathered wings, so here's how these were made:
i started out with a ready-made bookstand from hobby-lobby (also seen them at wal-mart) it cost about 65 cents. i bent this into the basic wing shape to use as my wire base. you could easily do the same thing with a heavy gauge wire, i just didn't want to make two trips. this will show you what i'm talking about:
EDIT: here are some photos of the actual bookstands in a couple sizes, and what one looks like after i bend it up. these are in craft store near the scrapbooking supplies:
i then covered that frame with foam to build up the wing shape. the wire was set into a slit cut halfway through the foam which was sealed with hot glue, you can see the seam in this shot of the foam base:
now at this point i got excited and started adding feathers, but what i SHOULD have done was add the backpack straps. i took them off a cheap backpack that was on sale at the grocerie store, you can see them pinned in place on the foam frame here:
next i should've made a pattern of what the fur would cover (standard packing tape method often used for furring heads), then added spikes and claws (made from super sculpey, painted with acrylics, sealed with spray-on furniture laquer), and THEN i should've added feathers, because the feathers can get kinda beat up in all the tinkering time in between.
but anyhow, i attatched the long feathers by cutting a slit in the foam for them to rest in, and sealing it with hot glue. this held them pretty solidly, here's a detail shot of this method, with some slits unsealed to help show how it worked:
after the long feathers were placed (look at a wing anatomy chart to see how to line up the longest feathers at the tip of the wing and feathers about half their length down the arm, known as primary and secondary feathers respectively) i added a couple rows of plume feathers.
if i wanted to make them completely feathered wings i would just continue adding rows of plumes until the whole frame was covered. here's a shot of all the feathers and spikes attatched to the frame:
using the packing tape pattern, i made a fur cover that extended only far enough to show all the feathers, and attatched it in the same way i would when furring a head. i added a green velvet patch to the back to match the rest of the costume and voila! tundra dragon wings!!!
i think they turned out beautifully, though they are not without their drawbacks or room for improvement. namely the feathers are pretty fragile, and take a bit of grooming. shipping is going to be a pain, though i think i can manage by sandwiching the feathers between sheets of corrugated cardboard.
also i didn't nail the wing shape as well as i wanted to, the feathers should point out a tad more, and lay flatter on the foam base. and i sould've used about twice as many of the long feathers LAYERS=STRENGTH. all the same i'm pretty pleased with them.
any criticisms good or bad welcome. i hope this can help somebody out :3